Friday 11 January 2013

Top 10 of 2012

An odd choice perhaps, for my first foray into bloggery, but if you're gonna start venting forth on films and such, it pays to have a starting point. A benchmark, if you will - a taste of what's to be liked and disliked.
If you agree, cool, welcome, pull up a pew and have some popcorn.
If you disagree, cool, welcome, pull up a pew and have some popcorn while I explain why you're wrong...

1 - The Raid
I'd heard this was a tough watch, but nothing prepared me for just how in-your-face and claustrophobic this film is. After watching it, you feel like you were in that apartment block - only without getting shot.

2 - Like Crazy
Heartbreakingly brilliant. Felicity Jones further cements her growing reputation.


3 - Martha Marcy May Marlene
Two surprising things about this film - just how stunningly good it is, and just how talented an actress the 'other' Olsen sister has turned out to be.


4 - Skyfall
Sweeping up the plaudits and box office takings with equal speed, Bond recovers from being beaten up by an accountant to deliver the best film of the Daniel Craig era.

 
5 - The Dark Knight Rises
OK, you can't always understand what Bane is saying - but what a way to wrap up the trilogy. And Anne Hathaway in that outfit. And that ending. I could go on...

 
6 - Headhunters
Haven't read the book yet, but if it's as darkly comic and twisted as the film it'll be great. I'm never using an outside toilet again.


7 - The Muppets
It's been a long, long time since Christmas Carol (the last good outing for Kermit et al), but kudos to Jason Segal for pulling this off. Laughs across the board, just like the good old days.
 


8 - Avengers
History has shown just how bad Hulk can be on the big screen. Joss Whedon showed everyone where they'd gone wrong.

9 - Moonrise Kingdom
This is one of those films that it's hard to explain just why I liked it so much. I just did. Great performances, great story, brilliantly filmed... Hollywood used to do this sort of thing a lot more often.
10 - Margin Call
I've become quite fascinated with the whole financial meltdown over the past few years, and there have been a few films that have attempted to either explain it or capture the perceived drama as events unfolded. Only Margin Call has succeeded.

6 comments:

  1. Of those, I've seen Margin Call, Avengers, Headhunters, The Muppets, and The Dark Knight, and I couldn't agree more.

    On my list to see were Skyfall, Moonrise Kingdom, Martha Marcy May Marlene, and Like Crazy.

    So that just leaves The Raid as the odd one out, and I'm now adding it to my list since you clearly know your films!

    How about a top 10 non-mainstream films of 2012? (I think Martha MMM and Like Crazy probably already fall into that group.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well The Raid would top that too! And MMMM and Like Crazy, obviously. Berberian Sound Studio too, which I hadn't had a chance to see last year but has blown me away. So that's four.
    Being Elmo and Take This Waltz would both be in there, and probably Beasts Of The Southern Wild (even if I did hate the father). Where are we now - seven?
    Not sure if it counts as non-mainstream, as it starred Ms Theron, but Young Adult was very good. After that I'm struggling.
    Grabbers and Wild Bill got good reviews, but I missed them, and while God Bless America as a great idea and started well, it tailed off badly in the final third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't gotten to see Berberian Sound Studio yet, but heard good things! Same with Being Elmo.

      Saw Take This Waltz last month, excellent little film, if a little hard to watch at times. Not seen any of the others you mentioned, so adding those to the list too - cheers mate!

      Delete
  3. Did you see Sleepwalk With Me? Worth a watch if not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not caught that - will track it down

    ReplyDelete