Wednesday 22 April 2015

The Emperor's New Clothes (15)

Unable to get to a screening of Michael Winterbottom and Russell Brand's dissection of moral and financial corruption in society, we asked our good friend and all round funny bloke Jamie Gosney if he would mind penning a few words.

He didn't, so he did, and here they are...


Ah, well, yes, I went to see the Russell Brand and Michael Winterbottom film, The Emperor's New Clothes, last night. 
I was so fired up after seeing it that I wanted write about it as soon as I got home but seeing as I had to get up at 4:00am, I thought it was best to try and be quite, put all the film had stirred in me on hold and get some sleep. 
That didn't happen. 
It didn't anywhere near happen but it was for other reasons which are really not relevant to this post.
So, yes, the film. 
Amazing. 
I thought I already knew quite a lot of the stuff that had been going on with the banks, the corruption and the criminal activity that caused the 2008 recession...and indeed the 87 and 93 recessions. 
However, as it turned out, I didn't know the half of it.
I won't go into any of the films detail as it's something everyone should go and see. 
Only to say, it's a really well made, extremely well researched documentary. 
The narrative is masterfully pieced together by Winterbottom and passionately and humorously presented by a very cheeky Russell Brand. 
Even if you don't like Brand, I think you'll find it hard to criticise his role in this film. He absolutely believes everything he's saying and consequently you believe him. 
But why wouldn't you? It's all factual.
If you've got any kind of heart and your soul is intact, this documentary will make you angry, sad, teary and determined to get rid of any and all organisations that could have knowingly allowed this ridiculous and criminal economic disparity to happen. 
It will also make you feel a tiny bit foolish. Foolish that you've believed the lie that we have been fed for so long.



Go see the film. Then you'll know that politics as we know them are totally broken. 
And, if we want to leave this world in a better condition for our children and grandchildren, then things must change.
I recommend you go and see it before May 7th, it will definitely influence the way you vote.

You can find Jamie on Facebook or follow him at @jamiegosney - or go see him live. He's a bit good.
You can see The Emperor's New Clothes online now via Amazon Instant Video

No comments:

Post a Comment